Red Hood Build

So for this superhero run, I've been building two different costumes, one based on an existing superhero and one invented. For the existing one I chose to do the Red Hood, one of Batman's former Robins turned anti-hero. If you've never heard of the Red Hood read Batman: Under the Red Hood and forget I just spoiled it in the previous sentence. Allow me to draw on Professor X/Jedi mind tricks. *You know nothing about the Red Hood*


And now feel free to read more about how I built this costume's elements and combined them to make a Red Hood through thrift store finds, simple crafts, and some imagination.

Reference Images





1. Shirt
One of the more iconic pieces of the Red Hood's costume in the Red Hood and the Outlaws series is what appears to be black body armor with a stylized red bat symbol. Although Jason Todd is at odds with Batman in the legendary Batman: Under the Red Hood, by the time the Outlaws he's somewhat reconciled with the Bat-family. The logo is there a red bat with very minimal ears and wingtips. Rather than tried to figure out how a leather jacket can fit over body armor, I went for a simpler approach and used a black athletic shirt. I figured the tight fit of the shirt would be a good stand-in for the armor, and the athletic wicking material of shirt would make sense for the active lifestyle of a crimefighter. Also it breathes, unlike the leather jacket. As to how I made and applied the logo to the shirt, take a look at the tutorial

2. Jacket
I borrowed this brown leather jacket. The color is pretty close, though I suppose the collar isn't quite the Mandarin collar seen in the comics. 


3. Pants
I bought these black jeggings from a thrift store for $5. I know, how dare I use jeggings. But they were black, tight-fitting, and comfortable, so it worked for this costume. And they were cheap, which is also pretty useful. 

4. Hood
I made this very basic emulation of the Red Hood's red hood, which is really more of mask. It's made from a laser tag mask and red cotton fabric, which a few modifications with scissors and a permanent marker, and attached with duct tape. Here's a quick tutorial here

5. Guns
Though they are not exactly the right shape as seen in the comics, these two prop guns are of the same color, size, and build as Jason Todd's .45 pistols. They are actually "water bead blasters" a type of water pistol that shoots hydrated gel beads. A little black spray paint and they look pretty good. A super simple tutorial on choosing and painting these prop guns can be found here


6. Belt and holsters
I found this belt in a thrift store for a couple of dollars, and then made the holsters out of flexible binder plastic, vinyl "leather", and black webbing. You can find a tutorial for it here


7. Gloves
Although in the comics the Red Hood wears full black gloves, I decided to use these fingerless exercise gloves from the "pilot gloves" tutorial


8. Combat boots
Fortunately black combat boots are common enough in modern fashion that it's already a part of many people's wardrobes. I actually wore the last pair of mine out, so I was on the point of borrowing a pair. Wouldn't you know I found a fitting pair in great condition in a thrift store not long after. In the thrift store they cost about $10, though you can easily buy some new for much more.


And here's some extra shots!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt