How to modify exercise gloves into pilot gloves

For the Iden Versio build, I've been looking for a pair of gloves to modify into a pilot's fingerless gloves. The specifications suggested by Lady Mary prefer leather or leather-like fingerless gloves with "no ornaments or seams on the gloves." I haven't found any gloves that fit that phrase, but I did find these synthetic microfiber gloves that have the feel of suede an the look of leather. There are some simple seams, but nothing as decorative or flashy as other gloves I've seen in the thrift stores. This might not exactly meet specs, but I figured I'd give it a try. Mostly, here's a few techniques to bring a used pair of weightlifting gloves into pilot's gloves for any number of costumes.
Materials
-Black exercise gloves ($2)
-Black "leather" vinyl
-Heavy-duty black thread
-Super glue
-Template materials (pen and paper)

Tools
-Scissors or hobby knife
-Needle




1. Gather the materials
I bought these Gold's Gym classic training exercise gloves from a thrift store for about $2. I think you can get them new for about $8, They're a little discolored on the palms, but they were clean and pretty well put together. I think the slight discoloration adds a weathered look, though I suppose I could dye or recondition it if I needed. Other exercise gloves could be used, and aren't much more expensive. I had the fine-grained black "leather" vinyl left over from the E-11 holster project, and the other materials and tools on hand.




2. Make the inset template
The main change I wanted to make with these gloves was to cover up the Gold's Gym logos. They kind of distracting and I doubt you'd find that particular brand in the Star Wars universe. So I created a template of the inset on the back of the straps with a scrap of magazine cover, trimming it down to fit properly.


3. Cut out the vinyl pieces
Next, trace the template twice onto the back of the vinyl with a permanent marker. Cut out the pieces, and adjust the fit if needed.


4. Glue down the vinyl
Add drops of super glue at intervals recommended on the label onto the reverse side of the vinyl pieces. Press down firmly onto the insets of the straps. For this particularly glove type, the straps were too thick to sew them on, but that might be an option for other models.


5. Reinforce the Velcro and trouble spots
For this pair of gloves, the edges of the Velcro pieces were a bit loose. I sewed the edges back down using heavy-duty black thread with a simple whipstitch. That way it doesn't get tangled up in the hook and loop fasteners that make up the Velcro.


That's all it took to make some cheap pilot's gloves. Good luck and keep crafting!




Comments

  1. Great post and right to the point. I don't know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thank you :)buy leggings online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt