Fantastic Beasts Slytherin Build

Hey everyone, the often-silent Starbat is here at last!



So, you may have seen the Loonatic's recent post on her Fantastic Beasts 20s Ravenclaw outfit. She went for the professional, Ministry-approved suit look, so I decided to go the opposite route, with a sparkly dress, shiny heels, and a lot of black with a 20s Slytherin look. This was heavily influenced by Phryne Fisher of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries fame.


It also draws on looks like the one Leta Lestrange sported in the Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindlewald trailer.


Basically, I went for dark, sparkly, and overdressed for everyday activities.



1. Dress
This is one of those things I found in a thrift store ages ago and just had to buy. As such, it was definitely $20 or under, and it has been waiting for years to actually become part of something more interesting than Starbat's Closet for the Wayward and Overdressed. It's not really a perfect 20s dress, but more like a 20s dress as seen through an 80s lens, but it's fun and comfortable (relatively speaking anyway, there's only so comfortable one can be when covered in hundreds of tiny beads and sequins).




2. Headband
This was an easy build, since I didn't go for anything complicated. The band is a black-jeweled headband from Hobby Lobby that I got for $3 because the plastic gems reminded me a little of scales. The fascinator I made from a couple of peacock feathers I found in the back of The Closet and an old turquoise earring, glued to a piece of cardboard, which was then glued onto an old pin so I could attach it to the band. Plus, it went well with my green-blue hair.




3. Shoes
 These are the cute T-strap shoes I found in Goodwill for $8.99. Not that T-strap shoes are the only shoes worn in the 20s, but it's something to wear that announces to everyone that you are going for A 20s Look, which is nice if everything else is more of a what-have-I-got-in-my-closet kind of situation.



4. Purse
This is neither from Goodwill, nor is it actually a purse. This is an eyeglass holder from Target that I picked up for $6-7 because it was green-black and reptilian. Perfection. I used it as a clutch (surprisingly, it actually held a couple cards, some cash, my car keys, and some makeup pretty easily). In the future, I plan to add a chain to it, especially if I can find a snake-related belt or necklace.



5. Earrings
For this outfit, I wanted snake earrings. I did not find any I liked. So instead, I picked up some scale earrings from Claire's (for a better picture, check out the listing at https://www.claires.com/us/mermaid-scale-stud-earrings-217678.html), and I wore one of my dragon ear cuffs. The scaly earrings, being from Claire's, were $6. On the other hand, the dragon I've had for at least 10 years, and he comes from Marty Magic (https://www.martymagic.com/). They make the absolute coolest ear cuffs in general, and the two dragons I have from them are my absolute favorite pieces of jewelry (although I'm not sure they sell this specific design anymore).



6. Wand
 Honestly, this was probably my least favorite part of my outfit. I had to put it together at the last minute, and I didn't time to stain/carve/decorate it. However, I do like the general shape I got, and the almost spinal look to the long handle. The shaft is the handle of an ugly wooden salad tong ($1 at Goodwill), and the handle is a couple assorted wooden beads/finials from Hobby Lobby ($4 total, and I have pieces to space), all held together with a generous amount of super glue.



7. Occamy
On the other hand, this was my pride and joy. This is Esther. She's totally homemade, so look out for the tutorial I'll be posting soon. She's... let's say loosely based on the Occamy (adorable snake-bird) from the first Fantastic Beasts film. She's also poseable, so for the night I had her wrapped around my wrist.




8. Makeup
 For the makeup, let's just say that I stared realistic 20s makeup in the eyes and said, eh. So instead I went for a dramatic Slytherin look, with a big cat-eye, a dark green lipstick, and scales on my face. Yeah, scales. I found these ridiculous makeup stencils at 5 Below, which have a mild adhesive that allows you to stick them to your face while you fill in the scales with a little eyeshadow. I decided to put some green scales on my temples, and it actually turned out pretty nice.



9. Stole
This is completely unnecessary in the grand scheme, but I got this faux fur stole from Hobby Lobby a while back ($15 on sale!) because it is the softest thing ever, and I am addicted to soft blankets. Technically it's a table runner, but I cannot understand why someone would willfully ignore the delightful fuzziness of this in order to put it on a table. Plus it was actually cold (well, cool) on the night we went to see the movie, so everything worked out pretty well, and it was the perfect accessory for the outfit. The Loonatic says it looks like niffler fur, but it's the Loonatic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt