How to make a quick Red Hood mask

So I was running out of time to create a Red Hood costume and trying to think of how to recreate the iconic hood. I didn't have the time to build a helmet, so instead I went simple. How could I get the basic look of the helmet without buying a ready-made one? Instead I opted for a mask, which gave me the time to finish the costume in time for a convention. Here's the quick method for making this kind of mask. 



Materials

-Laser tag mask
-Red cotton broadcloth

Tools
-Scissors
-Paper/pencil
-Sharpie
-Scrap fabric
-Duct tape

Reference Image

Image result for red hood mask
1. Gather the materials
As this is the quick and dirty version of Red Hood's mask it doesn't need much in the way of materials. The base mask is a laser tag mask I bought for $5 at a Five Below store, and I bought a remnant of red cotton fabric with a heavy discount. The remnants section of the fabric store is a great place, they'll sell less than 1 yard end pieces for dirt cheap. The other tools were things I had on hand around the house.


2. Prep the mask and make a pattern
First I prepped the mask but removing the mini-flashlight on the side. Then I laid out a piece of scrap cloth over half the mask and traced the edges with a Sharpie. By eyeballing various versions of the Red Hood mask, I determined where to mark the eyes and facet lines.


3. Cut the fabric
Then I cut a piece that is about an inch bigger than the mask all the way around. Using the pattern, I marked where eye holes on one side of the mask. Then I flipped the pattern and marked it on the other side.



4. Trace the facet lines
Using the pattern, trace the facet lines. Then flip the pattern and trace again.


5. Attach the fabric
Center the fabric over the mask and carefully fold it around the edges. Where the band meets the mask, stitch the fabric into place, checking to make sure when the band is flexed it doesn't mess with the placement of the fabric. Around the rest of the mask use small pieces of duct tape fix the fabric into place.

So there you have it, a super simple way to reproduce the Red Hood's helmet using a mask. Good luck and keep crafting!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt