Supernatural Playlist

Alright folks, I know I already did a playlist for urban fantasy, but consider this a more targeted list, combining music used in the show, as well as music that I feel thematically fits with the series. I'm also on a Supernatural bender and I just started Season 4, so be thankful I'm not just crying into my computer. Instead, buckle up for some classic rock, folk, and the side of country that is not deeply embarrassing twanginess.


1. Foreplay (Boston)

Played to great effect towards the end of season 2 (Sam gets abducted by the Yellow-Eyed Demon!), Foreplay is better known as the badass instrumental opening to Boston's Foreplay/Long Time combined track.

2. I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag (Country Joe McDonald and the Fish)

Sometimes know as the Vietnam Rag, I prefer the Woodstock live recording of this song where the traditional "FISH Cheer" is changed to the "FUCK Cheer." Which sounds insane if you don't know the song, but it's fun, I swear.

3. Man of Constant Sorrow (The Soggy Bottom Boys- O Brother, Where Art Thou?)

For six long years I've been in trouble,
No pleasures here on Earth I found
For in this world I'm bound to ramble,
I have no friends to help me now

4. Lash Out (Alice Merton)

I got something to say, might start a riot
Rip that tape from my mouth, I won't be quiet
'Cause everything is nothing
'Til you realize it's something you want

5. House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)

Now the only thing a gamble needs 
Is a suitcase and a trunk
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's all drunk

6. Season of the Witch (Donovan)

When I look out my window,
Many sights to see.
And when I look in my window,
So many different people to be.

7. O Death (Jen Titus)

But what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands taking hold of me? 
When God is gone and the Devil takes hold
Who'll have mercy on your soul?

8. Hurt (Johnny Cash)

Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

9. Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Boy, don't you worry, you'll find yourself
Follow your heart and nothing else
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try 
All that I want for you, my son, is to be satisfied

10. S.O.B. (Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats)

Son of a bitch, give me a drink
One more night
This can't be me
Son of a bitch
If I can't get clean I'm gonna drink my life away

11. A Boy Named Sue (Johnny Cash)

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
Called him my Pa, and he called me his son
And I come away with a different point of view
And I think of him, every now and then
Every time I try and every time I win

12. You Never Can Tell (Chuck Berry)

They had a hi-fi phono, boy, did they let it blast
Seven hundred little records, all rock, rhythm, and jazz

13. Key to the Highway (Little Walter)

I got the key to the highway,
Billed out and bound to go.
I'm gonna leave here running
Walking is most to slow

14. Swan Song (Led Zeppelin)

Although never played in the series, the final episode of Season 5 takes it's name partially from Led Zeppelin's unfinished song, and the record company they created that shared it's name.

15. Lo/Hi (The Black Keys)

One at a time, get in line for the masquerade
Drink 'til you cry and you're lying in the mess you made

16. Ain't No Easy Way (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)

It's easy to fall in love
When you fall in love you know you're done
You got easy eyes to hunt
When the world above needs your blood

17. Renegade (Styx)

Oh Mama I can hear you a-cryin', you're so scared and all alone
Hangman is coming down from the gallows, and I don't have very long

18. Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)

Maybe someday your name will be in lights
Saying "Johnny B. Goode Tonight"

19. City Jail (Johnny Cash)

City jail, city jail, like a scared old dog I tuck my tail
Bow my head and not a careless word is said
Gotta sleep on the floor once more at city jail

20. Any Fule Kno That (Deep Purple)

All the signs of a shark attack
You've got rivers of blood 
On the street, don't look back
Nothing personal, just another snack

21. What Makes a Good Man? (The Heavy)

Now I ain't tired of sweating for blood and dirt
I ain't tired of sweating for what it's worth
'Cause lines get drawn and lines get kicked and blurred
Indelible is what I need to spread the word

22. Dean's Theme (Supernatural- Jay Gruska)

Anyone who's ever watched a season or two of Supernatural has undoubtedly heard this leitmotif on the show. It's one of the most recognizable pieces of music from the show, and it's just gorgeous.

23. Carry on Wayward Son (Kansas)

Carry on my wayward son
For there'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Because no list would be complete without it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt