The Monster Mash: A Universal Monsters Playlist

Well I neglected to write why the last post jumped from post-apocalypse to Universal monster movies, but Halloween is on the horizon and we though it would be interesting to make a detour down a wolf-ridden track that heads off to a gothic castle or two. We'll be getting back to the apocalypse soon enough, but in the mean time here are some movies, songs, and whatnot fitting for All Hallow's Eve. All right, so I'm still working out the order on these, but the songs make a pretty good playlist for monsters in general, but here are some electrifying tunes to make even the most shambling of corpse creatures manage a can-can or a waltz. (I don't know who painted these horror portraits but they're fantastic!)


1. The Sermon II (The Creepshow)
Listen closely as your radio plays
A program of a slightly different strain


2. Lovecraft in Brooklyn (The Mountain Goats)
When the sun goes down, the armies of the voiceless, several hundred thousand strong
Come out without their bandages, their voices raised in song


3. People Are Strange (The Doors)
People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone


4. Transylvanian Concubine (Rasputina)
You know what flows here like wine

5. Psycho (Puddle of Mudd)
Maybe I'm the one
Maybe I'm the one
Who is the schizophrenic psycho


6. The Night (Lioness)
Every night the crickets whisper secrets in my ears
Every night the bats they take their refuge in my hair


7. Little Miss Strange (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
No one knows where she comes from
Maybe she's a devil in disguise
I can tell by looking in her eyes


8. Skullcrusher Mountain (Jonathan Coulton)
I've been patient, I've been gracious
And this mountain is covered with wolves
Hear them howling, my hungry children
Maybe you should stay and have another drink and think about me and you


9. The Perfect Parts (Shakey Graves)
Well your lies will burn in alcohol
To sterilize the perfect parts


10. Poor Jackie (Man Man)
Jackie hunts the shadows
With a Bowie knife at her elbows
She cuts free those horrible drums
That beat like bats under their sternums


11. Howl (Florence + the Machine)
The saints can't help me now, the ropes have been unbound
I hunt for your with bloodied feet across the hallowed ground


12. The Living Dead (Phantom Planet)
Who do you think is gonna rise when hell is full?

13. Take My Hand (The Creepshow)
This is a hell bound ride
But the devil's on our side
Don't be afraid my love
It's just a little bit of blood


14. Lonely Boy (The Black Keys)
So you pulled my heart out
And I don't mind bleeding
Any old time you keep me waiting


15. Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon)
You hear him howling around your kitchen door
You better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again


16. My Beloved Monster (Eels)
Wearing a raincoat that has four sleeves
Gets us through all kinds of weather


17. Time Warp (Richard O'Brien/Rocky Horror Picture Show)
It's astounding
Time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

18. The Monster Mash (Bobby Pickett)
He did the mash, he did the monster mash
The monster mash, it was a graveyard smash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt