Casual Cosplay: Catwoman

I love cosplay. I'm new to it, so I'm not great at it, but I love it anyway. And in general, when I choose to do a costume, it tends to be big and flashy in some fashion, which often means that it's also hideously uncomfortable. For example, last time I went to the local Comic Con, I strapped a wooden castle to my head and 6-inch platform wedges to my feet. It was awesome. However, for the first 4-5 hours I was at the con, I could barely see, walk, turn my head, or use my hands.

Now, being a forward-thinking person, I knew I wasn't going to last the while day in this costume. So I packed a backup costume for when my feet gave out (cut to me wrestling around in the back of a car trying to change my clothes in 100 degree heat). For the rest of the day, I wandered around in a (much cooler and more comfortable) outfit that was loosely inspired by Selina Kyle. No catsuits or stilettos, just hints of the colors and themes used by the one and only Catwoman.

While there is a long history of such casual cosplay, the trend has most recently come to prominence with the rise of bounding among Disney fans, who have taken to creating everyday versions of their favorite characters. Whether among comic fans or Disney fans, though, it's an amazingly fun concept.

[Note: For the full costume shots, the kind reader will assume I was trying creative lighting and filters, and the observant reader will note that I am awful at it. Consider yourself warned. Also, for the non-character shots, Fred the Abs will be helping me model the individual pieces of clothing.]

I'm hiding out with Poison Ivy





The Components:

Skirt

This is a pretty basic faux leather mini skirt I have in my closet. I honestly couldn't tell you where it came from, but you can't go wrong with a leather mini skirt.

Bodysuit

Another nameless thing from the depths of my closet, this lacy bodysuit feels appropriately va-va-voom for Catwoman.

Boots

Actually, when I wore this for comic con, I did it with combat boots instead of thigh highs in the name of comfort. Honestly, it's cute either way.

Accessories

For comic con I put these little shiny cat ears on my head. These were the only thing I bought specifically for this costume, and they came from 5 Below. Which also brings home the fact that these casual cosplays can be cost-effective as well as fun.

Although not used for the original implementation of this costume, this golden hip belt give me old-school Catwoman vibes.


Et voila! If you want to more recognizable you can add more specific costume components (like a whip), or you can just hit the town incognito like this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a simple medieval hood from cloth napkins

How to make rebel pilot leg flares

How to make a Jedi's utility belt